Stay Active & Tobacco-Free
In their own words
We spoke to a group of young girls and women to find out why they
believe physical activity is a healthy alternative to tobacco use.
Here’s what they told us:
Why do you think being physically active and involved
in sports helps you stay tobacco-free?
- Usually when you do sports you want to be fit and healthy.
Tobacco affects your body in a negative way so if you want to
be healthy, why would you use tobacco?
- Well, I’ve never really smoked or used tobacco in any
way before, and I don’t plan to. I know that smoking affects
your lungs and I wouldn’t want to do anything that would
affect how well I could run or play sports.
- I’m a competitive cheerleader. I know that smoking decreases
my health and my fitness.
- I work hard during ringette practices and I would not want
to throw all of that away. It would be stupid. All my hard work
would be wasted if I were to put something that is not healthy
in my mouth.
How does physical fitness influence your decision to stay
- It keeps your mind/body focused on sports instead of tobacco.
- You only get one body and you need to respect it or it will
fail on you one day.
- You can’t be fit and healthy if you smoke. I’d
rather be fit and healthy.
- It helps because I see my life in a different way. My goal
is to stay tobacco-free, and enjoy life and gymnastics.
If you were talking to a group of your peers about why
they should stay tobacco-free, what would you say to them?
- You’re giving your life away like its garbage.
- It is stupid and makes you look old.
- Imagine all the things you can in life but by smoking those
dreams can be ruined.
- No one can stop you but smoking won’t help you achieve
- Smoking isn’t cool and it will only ruin your life and
waste your money.
- Don’t do it because of peer pressure…it’s
not cool because your friends say it is.
- Travel the world and play sports instead.